Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Bookish Boss

"I like the Russians, the Chekhov short stories, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. I never read any of them until the past four years, and found them to be thoroughly psychologically modern. Personal favorites: “The Brothers Karamazov” and, of course, “Anna Karenina.”
Current favorites: Philip Roth, Cormac McCarthy and Richard Ford. It’s hard to beat “American Pastoral,” “I Married a Communist” and “Sabbath’s Theater.” Cormac McCarthy’s “Blood Meridian” remains a watermark in my reading. It’s the combination of Faulkner and Sergio Leone’s spaghetti westerns that gives the book its spark for me."
Ovanstående är ett citat hämtat ur artikeln "Bruce Springsteen: By the Book" i New York Times. Bruce Springsteen får ett tiotal frågor angående böcker han läser eller läst, och även om den nertecknade intervjun (i likhet med varje nedtecknad intervju) i någon mån med nödvändighet är en efterkonstruktion får man intrycket att "the Boss" svarar rappt, personligt och initierat. På frågan om vilken bok som påverkat honom mest i hans eget konstnärliga skapande nämner han i rask takt fem författare:
"I skipped most of college, becoming a road musician, so I didn’t begin reading seriously until 28 or 29. Then it was Flannery O’Connor; James M. Cain; John Cheever; Sherwood Anderson; and Jim Thompson, the great noir writer. These authors contributed greatly to the turn my music took around 1978-82. They brought out a sense of geography and the dark strain in my writing, broadened my horizons about what might be accomplished with a pop song and are still the cornerstone literally for what I try to accomplish today."

Jag fick precis en helt ny bild av Bruce Springsteen. The Boss is bookish.


Kommentarer